- The Last War, which embroiled the nations of Khorvaire in warfare for the last eighty years, ended four years ago. Common knowledge suspects that foul play between royalty, the Dragonmarked Houses, and other unknown movers and shakers have exacerbated the tensions of the Five Nations- selling intelligence, sabotaging treaties, and surprise attacks on critical supply lines, defenses, and ultimately leading to the magical catastrophes resulting in wiping out the entire nation of Cyre, turning it into the Mournland. Everyone’s emotions are raw from the scars of decades of battle.
- Kurgan d’Tharashk, a wartime correspondent for the Korranberg Chronicle, went missing weeks before a reconciliation tribunal, upon which it is supposed that he was going to drop names of some major players that have been playing the Five Nations along. You have been contacted by the Chronicle, Sam’s best childhood buddy Eldereth (ASSHOLE!), and a mysterious figure known only as “Matteo,” to find him – deep within the halls of Dreadhold Prison.
- To assist you in getting into Dreadhold, you have been tipped off to find a magical item known as the Coven’s Eye, a powerful focus of illusion magic, which has been stolen by the Jungle Boys. You managed to steal it back. However, you aren’t the only ones looking for it- you discovered a wizard affiliated with the Jungle Boys that was also trying to steal it, and he’s likely quite peristent. Eldereth was lost (presumably dead) in the attempt to distract the Jungle Boys. He apparently is still an asshole.
- After recovering the Eye, Ella is able to produce an illusion to make the party look like Dwarfs, provided that you stay close together, in about the same space as a small building or ship, provided that Ella can keep near the center of a room. It will be taxing to maintain the illusion in combat. Combined with forged papers and House Kundarak uniforms provided by Matteo, the party should have pretty effective disguises – just don’t try to speak in Dwarfish. In a Dwarf paramilitary complex.
- Matteo also included with the uniforms a magic +1 heavy mace. it is unique in that it does not appear to be symmetrical – the flanges on its surface are irregular, and varying shapes. It is clearly Dwarfish in construction and boasts Kundarak decorations.
- Good News- Dexter has managed to figure out your escape plan out of Dreadhold, hopefully with Kurgan in tow. Bad News – the party has had to make a deal with a very creepy magic-user known only as Mindbender. In exchange, Mindbender wants you to spring out someone for him. Both Kurgan and Mindbender’s “friend” are locked in theStoneward, where high-risk criminals are left petrified, in some cases for centuries. You have been given an amulet, which should help break any enchantments on Mindbender’s “friend”, and will signal him upon arrival. The cavalry should come soon, which is good news – your “friend” is apparently highly dangerous.
- (Yes, 7.) Zultan has an associate who has an airship, and is ready to leave Sharn for the Lhazar Principalities when you are. To date, you have yet to make contact with anyone from House Kundarak. You probably want to find someone who can get you inside Dreadhold, preferably not in chains. See if you can chum up with someone and worm your way into their confidence…
The Shadow War
Where we last left our heroes...
Copied from email sent May 2011